LTI Korea Translation Academy
Call for Applications to the Regular Course
The LTI Korea Translation Academy is looking for talented applicants who will rise to the challenge of translating Korean literature, thereby contributing to the growth of its global readership.
LTI Korea Translation Academy Fellowship
The fellowship is open to speakers of English, French, German, Russian, Spanish, Chinese and Japanese. The fellowship is designed to allow foreign students to devote themselves fully to the study of literary translation during their stay in Korea.
□ The fellowship includes round-trip airfare, monthly stipend of 1.2–1.6 million won, visa sponsorship and tuition waiver *The monthly stipend amount will depend on the student’s performance during the program.
□ About the Program
○ Languages: English, French, German, Russian, Spanish, Chinese, Japanese
- Foreigners and overseas Koreans with a bachelor’s degree or above can apply.
- Applicants who are not involved in any economic activities in Korea when the course starts (September 2020–June 2022).
○ Number of Fellowships: Maximum 4 for each language
○ Curriculum: Translation of Literary Texts, Study of Translation Styles, Korean Literature, Korean Culture, Korean Language
- The program also offers activities such as workshops with Korean writers and literary excursions.
○ Faculty: Professors of literature, literary translation, and Korean language and culture
○ Duration: September 2020–June 2022
※ Fall Semester: September–December | Spring Semester: March–June
□ How to Apply
○ Applications can be made online at: http://lms.ltikorea.or.kr
○ Application Documents
(1) Application form filled in Korean
(2) Personal statement written in Korean
(3) Personal medical assessment
(4) Letter of recommendation: The recommender should email us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org. The letter should be written in Korean or English.
(5) Sample translation of 장강명, 「모두, 친절하다」,『산 자들』(민음사, 2019)
· From the 1st line of p.271 (starting with 여태까지 살면서) to the last line of p.275 (ending in 지나가면서 본 적 있어.).
· The title must also be translated.
(6) A certificate of bachelor's degree
(7) A certificate of valid TOPIK score (Optional)
※ (1) The application form needs to be filled online at: http://lms.ltikorea.or.kr
※ (2)–(4) The prescribed forms can be downloaded from the notice section of our website:
※ (6) Scanned copies of postgraduate certificates must be submitted (certificates in languages other than Korean or English need to be translated into either Korean or English and notarized or apostilled).
□ Selection Criteria
○ Application review, sample translation review, and telephone interview
○ Applications should be received no later than 16:00 (Korean standard time) on April 29, 2020.
□ Selection Process
○ Application period: March 30–April 29, 2020
○ Announcement of candidates for telephone interview: May 22, 2020
○ Telephone interview: May 25–May 29, 2020
○ Final result announcement: June 15, 2020
※ Applicants will be notified if there is any change to the academic calendar on account of COVID-19.
□ Contact: Ms. PARK Hyunsun (email@example.com)