Call for Applications to the Regular Course
The LTI Korea Translation Academy offers several exciting courses for aspiring translators of Korean literature. Designed for people deeply interested in translating Korean literature, the Regular Course was earlier offered as a one-year program. With the vision of transforming the Academy into a graduate school of translation, we expanded it into a two-year program in 2015. We are looking for talented applicants who will rise to the challenge of translating Korean literature, thereby contributing to the growth of its global readership.
LTI Korea Translation Academy Fellowship
The fellowship is open to native speakers of English, French, German, Russian, and Spanish. The fellowship is designed to allow foreign students to devote themselves fully to their study of literary translation during their stay in Korea.
□ The fellowship includes: round-trip airfare, monthly stipend of 1.6 million won, visa sponsorship, health insurance, and tuition waiver
□ About the Program
○ Languages: English, French, German, Russian, Spanish
- Foreigners and overseas Koreans with a bachelor’s degree or above can apply. However, students who are recommended by their university or by a relevant expert can apply regardless of their academic background.
- Applicants who are not involved in any economic activities in Korea when the course starts (September 2018).
- Fellowship recipients are ineligible to receive scholarships offered by other organizations while studying at the Academy.
○ Number of Fellowships: 3–4 for each language
○ Curriculum: Translation of Literary Texts, Study of Translation Styles, Korean Literature, Korean Culture, Korean Language
- The program also offers activities such as workshops with Korean writers and cultural excursions.
○ Faculty: Professors of literature, literary translation, and Korean language and culture
○ Duration: September 2018 – June 2020
- 1st Year: September 2018 – June 2019
- 2nd Year: September 2019 – June 2020
※ Fall Semester: September – December | Spring Semester: March – June
□ How to Apply
○ Application Documents
- Application form, personal statement written in Korean
- Letter of recommendation: The recommender should email us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org. The letter should be written in Korean or English.
- Sample translation of 최은영 「601, 602」,『제17회 황순원 문학상 수상작품집』(다산책방, 2018)
· From the 1st line of p.259 (starting with 우리 가족은) to the 4th line of p.263 (ending in 그리고 나에게도.).
· The title must also be translated.
- A certificate of bachelor's degree, or, if not holding a degree, a letter of recommendation from a relevant expert (prescribed form). Applicants currently enrolled in a university must submit a certificate of enrollment and transcripts.
※ The prescribed forms can be downloaded from the notice section of our website: LTIKorea.or.kr/en. The application form needs to be filled online in Korean.
※ Applicants to the fellowship resident outside Korea can email us for the Korean text for the sample translation: email@example.com.
※ Scanned copies of postgraduate certificates must be submitted (certificates in languages other than Korean or English need to be translated into either Korean or English and notarized or apostilled).
□ Selection Criteria
○ Application review, sample translation review, and telephone interview
○ Applications can be made online at: http://lms.ltikorea.or.kr
○ Applications should be received no later than 16:00 (Korean standard time) on April 30, 2018.
□ Selection process
○ Application period: April 1 – 30, 2018
○ Announcement of candidates for telephone interview: May 24, 2018
○ Telephone interview: May 28 – June 1, 2018
○ Final result announcement: June 18, 2018
Contact: Ms. Lee, Mina (firstname.lastname@example.org)