Overseas Translation Workshop Program 2020
Through the Overseas Translation Workshop Program, LTI Korea provides funding assistance for Korean literature translation workshops held abroad.
We seek applications from overseas universities with Korean studies programs.
1. Introduction: Our grants cover the costs of running a Korean literature translation workshop and inviting a Korean writer.
2. Eligibility: Overseas universities with Korean language or Korean literature programs in all language groups are eligible to apply.
※ Number of Recipients: around 15 universities (subject to change)
a) Faculty with the ability to guide a Korean literature translation workshop, and adequate facilities to run a translation workshop program for one term (at least one session per week for three months)
b) At least 7 students with sufficient linguistic proficiency and literary understanding
4. Grant Details: Support fund and the costs of inviting Korean writers.
a) Partial funding towards operational costs and faculty fees
- Faculty fees to be paid in accordance with the university’s pay scale.
- Operational costs: coordinator fees, promotional and running costs, etc.
b) We provide funding (travel expenses and honoraria) for inviting the Korean author/scholar of the set text to participate in the workshop.
※ Unless in exceptional circumstances, we transfer the grant into the university’s bank account.
※ The exact amount of the grant is decided in consideration of a number of factors including the total budget and local prices.
※ The grant is paid in euros for countries using the euro and in US dollars for all other countries.
a) Korean literature translation seminars
- Translate Korean literature (1 short story / 20 poems) into a foreign language. The chosen text must be fully translated during the seminars.
- Period: 12 weeks (at least once a week)
b) Korean literature translation workshop and author lecture
- Period: 2~3 days
- Workshop: Q&A and discussion with the author (or scholar) of the set text (at least two two-hour sessions)
- Literary event: lecture for students in the Korean department or general readers, discussion with scholars and authors, readings (at least once)
※ LTI Korea may request amendments to the university’s seminar/workshop/literary event proposal.
c) Final report and proof of expenditure must be submitted within one month of the completion of the project.
※ Please use the form provided by LTI Korea.
6. Application and Selection Process
a) Application Period: December 2, 2019 ~ January 5, 2020 (24:00 KST)
b) How to Apply: Applications are accepted by email only (firstname.lastname@example.org).
c) Required Documents
1) Application (in Korean or English). Please use the form provided.
- Your application must include detailed information about the amount of funding requested, a budget plan, the workshop/seminar schedule, the set text and author, the department/program and participating students.
※ The set text is to be finalized in consultation with LTI Korea.
2) Resumes and personal statements of the teaching staff written in Korean or English (no set format).
3) The pay scale of the university
d) Selection Criteria
- Work experience of the selected faculty member(s)
- The standards of the Korean department (students’ linguistic proficiency, participation of MA/PhD students, etc.)
- Concreteness/feasibility of the workshop and seminar plan
※ Priority will be given to the following:
- Applications that include a plan to utilize the final translated text (publication, online posting, journal submission, application for translation grants, etc.)
* If applicable, please state how translations from previous workshops were utilized.
- Workshops in target languages not included in the Translation Academy's curriculum (English, French, German, Spanish, Russian, Chinese, and Japanese).
e) Notification of Result: End of January 2020 (expected)
7. Further Information
- For enquiries, please contact Heesu Choi (+82 2 6919 7756 / email@example.com).
- Workshops scheduled for the first half of 2020 will be given preference.
- Submitted documents will not be returned.
- Translation seminars and workshops using an intermediary language are not eligible.